Laryngeal leiomyoma: A case report and review of the literature
Leiomyoma is a benign tumour of the smooth muscle that is most typically located in the feminine genitourinary tract. Laryngeal localisation is very uncommon; only 43 cases have been reported in the world literature yet. Surgical resection is the main treatment and recurrences are extremely infrequent. We hereby present a case of laryngeal leiomyoma, its treatment and literature review.
- Hirshoren N, Weinberger JM, Neuman T, Ilan O, et al.. Recurrent vascular leiomyoma of the larynx: clinical and histopathologic characteristics and treatment. Ear Nose Throat J. 2010;89:382-6.
- Morena E, Pérez CA, de la Fuente C, Razquin J, et al.. Leiomiosarcoma laríngeo. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 2007;58:445-8.
- Sancho A, Poncela M, Morais D, Martín G, et al.. Leiomioblastoma lingual. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 2001;52:70-3.
- Xu Y, Zhou S, Wang S. Vascular leiomyoma of the larynx: a rare entity. Three case reports and literatura review. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2008; 70:264-7.
- Gianluca S, Marini R, Tonoli F, Cristali MP. Leiomyoma of oral cavity: case report and literatura review. Ann Stomatol (Roma) 2011;2:9-12.
- Baden E, Doyle JL, Lederman DA. Leiomyoma of the Oral Cavity: A Light Microscopic and Immunohistochemical Study with Review of the Literature from 1884 to 1992. Oral Oncol Eur J Cancer 1994; 30: 1-7.
- Lan MY, Guo YC, Chu PY, Ho DM, et al.. Pathology quiz case 2: Leiomyosarcoma of the larynx. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001;127:1503-5.